How to Create a High Converting Lead Magnet
What does it take to attract qualified leads? Let’s understand the framework and the tools so that you can build what is known as a lead magnet.
What Is a Lead Magnet
If you’ve not heard of the term “lead magnet” that’s cool, read on. A lead magnet is a marketing tool that generates leads by offering a specific solution to a specific problem in exchange for a prospect’s contact information.
Lead magnets can take the form of PDFs, Swipe files, checklists, process maps, templates, and similar downloadable assets.
If you don’t get this right, you’ll likely end up with a bunch of lookers, and you’re left in a situation where there’s no first date with your audience.
But if you get it right, qualified people will be attracted to your content and maybe your solution, they may even share it and you end up with courtship which is a trusting and loyal relationship.
The 3 keys that you need to understand are:
- A prospect is looking to solve a specific problem
- Once they solve the specific problem
- A bigger solution is highlighted which can be your product or service
Here are some examples of Lead Magnets that solve specific problems
SWIPE FILE – Digital Marketer
A swipe file is a compilation of templates and different resources that you might want to swipe and refer back to it later. Landing page copy, emails, blog posts, sales letters, ANYTHING.
Digital Marketer is a digital marketing membership website that offers a variety of info products and a private login area for paying members.
If you’re a prospect and you’re found yourself searching in Google for a swipe file, you’re likely going to land on a simple landing page where the swipe file resource is advertised. You enter your First Name, Last Name, Email Address, answer some Yes/No questions and then click on the orange call-to-action button, you will then be taken to a thank you page where an explanation is given as to when your Lead Magnet will arrive in your inbox.
After you opt-in, you’re then redirected to an upsell page, and the link to download the file is sent via email.
This type of lead magnet works because it gives you an example of how to do something, Having 72 proven headlines to draw from when creating social media posts is really a no-brainer.
CHECKLIST – The Printmaker System
The Printmaker System is a SaaS company focused on helping photographers tired of the shoot-and-burn approach to switch to In-Person Sales.
They offer a sales checklist for photographers who want to go from making hundreds of dollars in average sales to making thousands with just a few clients.
Offering a PDF adds an incentive for your site’s visitors to give away their contact information.
CHECKLIST – Bluewire Media
Bluewire Media specializes in helping consultants and professional advisors to grow their pipeline of qualified leads and convert them into clients.
An example of one of the lead magnets that they offer is a checklist on how to create a lead magnet.
CHEAT SHEET – Amy Porterfield
Amy Porterfield is a business consultant and marketing expert. She teaches business owners and entrepreneurs the steps to take for building a highly engaged email list, creating online training courses, and using online marketing strategies to sell effortlessly.
Cheat sheets are great lead magnets because they’re short, easy to create, and don’t require you to be an expert at something.
On this website, the cheat sheet offer is prominently advertised on the homepage.
After clicking the yellow call-to-action button, you’re immediately shown a pop-up opt-in to add your name and email address. After you opt-in, you’re redirected to a thank you page, and the link for downloading the cheat sheet is sent via email.
Understand what people want to learn
If you create a lead magnet on a topic your target audience deeply wants to learn about, you’ll have a much higher chance of converting them.
To do that, you simply need to reach out to them and ask them things like:
- What are your biggest challenges/pain points right now?
- What are your current goals? What do you want to achieve?
- What is it you’d like to learn?
You can also use analytic tools to dig deeper.
Here is a list of tools and techniques you can use to get your answers:
Surveys allow you to easily summarize and analyze answers from your audience.
After completing the ASK method with Ryan Levesque you shouldn’t offer any kind of monetary incentive for filling out the survey as teh results will be some what bias.
To create your surveys, you can simply use SurveyMonkey.
Allows you to dig deeper into answers from your audience and identify the secret reasons behind each answer. It’s harder to get people on a call, but it’s totally worth it.
Sales and Support calls
similar to interviews; the main difference is that the customer was the one who contacted you because they had a problem or question.
Leverage these opportunities to gather data, and use it to improve your content marketing and offer better lead magnets.
To do that, simply:
With tools like Google Analytics, you can figure out what content on your site is most frequently browsed.
detailed keyword research is essential to understand what people want to find and learn.
Know your unique value proposition
Every market is saturated. So what do you do to stand out? The answer is a simple: you have to be different.
It’s a tough thing to do. But if you don’t know why a prospect should choose you over the hundreds or thousands of competitors out there, then how can you expect them to do the same.
So you’ve got to dig deep. Analyze your competition.
Identify a unique value proposition and create a lead magnet that speaks to that uniqueness. Make it something your prospect isn’t going to find anywhere else.
When creating your lead magnet, don’t focus on what you think people need, create what they want.
If you don’t know what that is, then ask them! refer to some of the methods highlighted in this article.
Make sure what you’re creating doesn’t look like all of the other freebies out there.
Take some time to discover your unique value and convey that through the content in the lead magnet.
Just remember most people are looking for a quick win so be sure that your lead magnet helps the lead take action and convey that clearly when you share your lead magnet.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways I can help you and your coaching business right now:
- Join our FREE Facebook™ group, the Scalable Business Dojo, and connect with coaches who are growing too – it’s our Facebook™ community where the sharpest business coaches on the planet learn to get more money, deliver more impact, and get more freedom, CLICK HERE and join now!
- Join the, Get Clients Challenge™, and become a successful case study – the outcome of the Get Clients Challenge™ is simple: To get you, clients. I’m aiming to get you at least an extra $10-$15k per month, so we’ll give you everything we need to make that happen, and nothing you don;t. Here’s the best part, there are no ads to run, no funnels to launch, and no tech to struggle with. We’re going to solve the 3 biggest problems that stop coaches from launching and growing their businesses. Delivery Angst, Lack of Leads, and Sales Anxiety. CLICK HERE to learn more now!
- Chat with me in messenger – we’ll talk about where you’re at and where you want to be. And together we can look at what your next steps are to move the needle in your business. CLICK HERE to chat with me in messenger
- Schedule a FREE 15-minute Game Plan Call with me we’ll map out a personalized plan of your next steps to grow your coaching business. Please leave your credit card at home too – there’s no pitch on this call. Just great conversation with an expert to help you figure out what’s next for you in your business. CLICK HERE to book a call now!